Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Blue Angels

Some young teenagers have boy bands fads - they memorize the music, paste the posters all along their wall, and melt when they seem them in concernts. Yes, we could say, many average teenagers are like that. And then many years later, when they are grown women with rational minds, their hearts will still leap with that remaining bit of teeny-bopper twitterpation that may always remain in their dear, and slightly delirious, female heart. (aside: i am certainly that male hearts also hold equally, if not more so, ridiculous vestiges of their teen years dear to their heart. having not had that experience however, I can not blog about it)

I experience this twitterpation a few days ago - it caught me quite off guard and in a very unassuming moment. Walking across the parking lot of the naval academy stadium I saw the object of my fascination, the group that made my heart go a flutter.

A boy band, you ask? a solo performer? Who was it, do tell!

You may be surprised - however those of you raised in the military may understand - it was not a boy band or crush at all - but rather a collection of six amazing Boeing F/A-18 Hornets:



The Blue Angels.

They were practicing for their show the following day, buzzing over the stadium as I made my way the car. Suddenly I found myself throwing my hands in the air in a gesture of unity and encouragement. Like a teenager at a rock concert.

The next day at work I was serenely labeling my books (one of my favorite things to do), when suddenly a loud bang goes through our facility. It only takes a moment for us to realize that the show has begun. I am beginning to quiet my heart, and tell myself it is okay to keep on working while the show goes on - when a co-worker stops in the library and says:

"Hey- do you want to go up the roof?"

My heart leaped for joy as my body leaped to the elevator and we took of, climbing a steep staircase and arriving at the roof. Looking through Annapolis, we could clearly see we were not the only ones with this idea, as nearly every roof was occupied with specators. Up on the roof, the Blue Angels zigged and zagged by us. The clear view afforded a nearly 360 degree view of their activities as they manouvered around in death-defying feats.

And while I observed the show with clear displays of glee, having not been content to be inner displays of glee, my co-worker shook her head, smiled, and laughed along with me.

joy just simply cannot be bundled up inside. It springs on out at the most carefree and odd moments. Albeit slightly embarrassing, I had a blast hanging out with my colleagues up on the roof, watching the blue jets whiz by and plugging our hears from the noise. And just reveling in the joy of watching miraculous feats performed- or perhaps just reveling in joy itself.

2 comments:

Acolyte said...

yay for blue angels!

wow it's been a while since i dropped by :) *reminds self to come more often. hope you're having a great day!

~kes

Page said...

I think you need to start blogging again....