I was reflecting on an experience I had back in college the other day. My friend had recently met a guy, they had a myriad of deep “vulnerable” conversations, and now “I know everything about him, and he knows everything about me.” I took this comment in stride, for it was certainly not the first (or last) time I heard it, and something I had assented to a few times myself. After a deep conversation, and revealing things we never thought we would have revealed to another human being, we leave the conversation with a sense of “knowing” and of “being known.” For all of us who have been to this stage, I’m sure this strikes a chord. For those have been to this stage and moved past it, I’m sure you might be laughing right now.
Currently I am in a class entitled “Knowledge Management” which I took out of sheer curiosity onto what that could possible mean. ‘Knowledge Management,” or KM for short, turns out to be learning how to share knowledge that people gain from experience, aka. how to fix copiers, how to build a piece of software, how to interact with certain individuals and corporate entities, etc. Another point of my whole intellectual KM experience, is the fact that knowledge resides deep in the human being, often to such an extent that the person is not even aware that they know it, let alone the people around or who employ them. I’m sure many of us have experienced this, when we encounter a situation and deep from the recesses of our brain appears “Oh yeah, there was this one time....” We have depths of accumulated experiences residing in us, just waiting for a moment where they will be needed. That is to say, not even we know our own full potential and can fully embody every aspect or ourselves- from our thoughts to our actions. Only through challenges and experiences do we have a chance to discover ourselves for ourselves. On the same token, only through mutual experiences with others, can we build a base of shared knowledge – where we begin to know what that person knows, often discovering both ourselves and the other at the same exact time.
That said, let’s revisit the above statement made during college. Often we feel we understand ourselves and others-particularly the attractive person sitting across from us over coffee- and bring the above statement into question. It has however inherently two misleading assumptions: 1. I know everything about myself and 2. S/he knows everything about themselves and 3. We are both capable of communicating all this knowledge and experience through explicit conversation- once exchanged, we now know all we need to know.
I am not trying to undervalue the importance of these types of communications and conversations, they are necessary and do communicate a lot of needed information. The danger however lies when we stop there, when we fall under the fallacy that our own growing and development stops there, and that the developing knowing of the other has also commenced.
What I am considering is changing my view of a person, from a person as a relatively stagnant and stable entity, to rather a being who is continually growing in both internal resources and external experiences. Knowing a person then become more of an adventures – as new challenges are faced, as the unexpected comes, and as memories are made to we truly begin to know the other person, even as we are already truly known. In this way, we can also come to know ourselves
Sara is trying to make a comeback to blogging. Thanks Bethany and Page!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That's the crazy thing about relationships--no person is ever quite the same from one day (or even moment!) to the next. (The concept of never stepping into the same river twice has endless applications in our time-bound existence.) To approach a person without taking that into consideration really is blinding yourself in some respects.
I remember when I was younger having a view of myself as incomplete, waiting to be completed by some ultimate friend. All I needed was a soulmate, or maybe a few, and then I'd feel whole, right? And the greatest friendships do have that element to them, assuring us we do have a place to belong. But the issue isn't completion or wholeness; it's more like a dance, as we grow and change just as much as those around us. And those great friends are those who love to keep in step with us, those with whom we make good figures.
There's my artsy-fartsy thought for the day. :)
Yay! Glad you are coming back to the blogging world...
I like your thoughts here.
I think a lot of times when people use they phrase “They know everything about me” it is really the events and feelings we deem significant. The things that we feel have really shaped our lives and who we are but not necessarily who we are growing into. I’m not sure if I agree with “...only through mutual experiences with others can we build a base of shared knowledge…” Do you have to have to actually experience what the other person has gone through to have empathy? I guess I just feel that that is saying you can’t really understand the knowledge of other person’s experiences if you haven’t shared the same experiences. I believe that some people are in fact not capable of this, but that shouldn’t imply that we are not capable of that as human beings as a whole. I think that the more we understand about ourselves the more we can understand others. But I would agree that it would be foolish to say we could know everything about ourselves and in the same token everything about another person. I’m not sure if I’m even making sense.
Hooray, an update! :) I love your entries, they always make me ponder things. Also how cool was it to actually hang out over Mexican food with Kate yesterday?! SO COOL. I love you, friend!
Post a Comment