(okay... so my noble goal of posting every Friday failed on its first try. Nevertheless, I persevere)
I'm not sure what it was. Maybe it was the fact that I had spent the day in a library, learning about genocide and the importance of life. Or perhaps it was because I had recently discussed medical animal research with a friend. It may more likely be attributed to hanging out with my uncle and following his example. Or also that I had been reading Calvin & Hobbes every night for about a month.
Or perhaps it was all of them. Together, tied up tight in a bundle, ready to spring when the moment arrived.
Which it did. Singing to myself while driving down my road, I turned onto my street. There, sitting like a bump on a log, or more accurately like a bump on the road, or was a very large frog. or toad. I didn't spend that much time analyzing its amphibian features.
I knew I probably should just continue home, and hope that he would eventually hop his way to safety. But then all above factors saw their moment, and sprung into action, taking me along with them. Turning around, I went to the side of the street, shining my lights on my amphibian friend. Grabbing a large piece of paper while some voice echoed in the back of my head Don't touch frogs! They are dangerous! , I approached him from behind. Frog seemed very calm and unthreatened. (in retrospect, it does not seem like the most intelligent creature). So, seeing as Frog was not encouraged to move by the headlights shining right in it's face, or by the paper gently and strongly prodding its butt, I did what seemed like the most logical way to help this creature move to safety.
To the frog I became a frog.
I hopped. In my dress clothes, in the middle of the street. My own car lights shining brightly at me. While standing directly behind a fat frog. I almost wish someone was there to witness the comedy.
more surprisingly - Frog hopped back!
Delighted, I realized I had finally spoken in the Frog's language and it had understood. I hopped again, and so did Frog. I hopped, Frog hopped, I hopped, Frog hopped.
And so we proceeded, across the lane, until we had reached a safe place to rest. Namely the street gutter - but I figured Frog would have a greater chance of safety in a gutter than in the middle of the road. And I was not about to hop up on the curb - I did have some bit of dignity left.
Content with my rescue, I went back to my car and drove the short distance home.
It really was nothing extraordinary. However I would like to think that somewhere this evening there is a Frog, grateful for its existance, and relating to its froggy friends the remarkable and delightful moonlit hop across the lane it had with a kind. I hope it enjoyed it. I most certainly did.
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Aren't you the same good soul who stopped for ducklings a few years back?? Sara, a true animal's friend.
Uncle Todd is very proud of you...
that picture of you hopping and Frog hopping is quite hilarious, and brings me much joy!!
That was a good work, which pleases God, by the way!! :)
love,
auntie, wifey of the advocate of all living things.
i love this story. you should write more stories.
last big exam yesterday (hallelujah), and just two more easy ones in the next two weeks plus some other responsibilities, so breathing room at last. when are you finished? summer classes?
let's talk soon.
love,
kate
ps - sometimes i spy on you via the internet
Best. Mental. Image. Ever.
Thank you! :)
Love, Bep
Post a Comment