With a kind reminder from my sister - I believe it is time for me to update this blog.
My classes this semester are absolutely excellent. One I am enjoying particularly is "Transformational Technologies" (LBSC 718t). In this class, we are discussing technologies effect on society and culture, and then how these also influence technological development. During this second part of the semester we are charged with leading two class sessions - our team chose to do one on cell phones, a technology referred to as "mobile telefony," which just cracks me up.
While doing research into this topic, I came across an article entitled, Changes in the self resulting from the use of mobile phones by José García-Montes, Domingo Caballero-Muñoz and Marino Pérez-Àlvarez. There are many elements of this article which I find intriguing and thought provoking, however one stands out in particular, and I would like to dedicate the following sentences to that thought.
When our cell phone rings, we are standing in a certain social environment, such as a restaurant, subway, or place of worship. Before our cell phone rang, all elements of ourselves were rooted to that situation - to the people around us and to the social expectations of that sphere. For instance, if I am in a conversation in a restaraunt, I am careful to pay all attention to my conversant, and likewise speak in tones that are suitable to the restaurant, most likely only as loud as the ambiance provided.
This is fairly self explanatory. What is remarkable about mobile telefony, is that it invades this space with yet another space: the one in which our mobile buddy currently stands. As our mobile buddy stands in her realm, let's say the privacy of her bedroom, she is currently abiding by social expectations of her sphere (which there are none) and to the people in that sphere (in this case, there are likewise none). She is calling out of the sheer excitement of being accepted to a her dream college.
My phone rings, interrupting our conversation. I choose to answer it (i have a very understanding conversant). When I answer the phone, I am now connecting my thoughts and content of my speech to my friend in her room, while my body language must abide by rules of the social sphere in which it is currently situation. So while my friend yells and jumps around her room, scream joyfully (which I would do with her if I was there), I must intonate jubilantly "Congratulations, I'm so happy for you!" while maintaining a semblance of calm.
By answering my telephone, I have committed myself to being in two places at the same exact time. I must divide the content of what I am saying from my body language (which has a similar to some mental diseases). In some ways, I am dividing myself from myself, and giving only a part of me to each person in each sphere I am connecting too, and not allowing myself to be fully myself.
Now I am not trying to argue that cell phones should be discarded. However, what I would like to consider my readers to think about is the integrity of their being and the potential danger in dividing it unnecessarily. Is it important to take that call, here - now? Will you be doing a diservice to the people around you, and not only to yourself? Have you considered how important it is, for yourself, to not try and do the impossible (being in two places at the same time), but rather to guard your time and your precious thought economy, so that you may have the whereabouts to deal with whatever situation confronts you (either physically or virtually) with all you have to offer?
I would really enjoy any thoughts that you may have - even if it is "Sara-- get out of the books and go frolic in a field"
"What a remarkable idea" I would reply, "I think I'll go do just that. And turn off my cell phone while I am at it."
Friday, April 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm glad you updated. There is nothing quite as sad as a blog unpdated.
I really like what you have to say about cell phone culture. It really is something to think about. Home phones too--like do you answer during dinner? a visit from a friend? I think that caller ID has really changed culture too. Maybe. I'm not sure people actually use the ID enough to ignore there calls--I think being called makes people feel special, no matter where they are. I think most people are addicted to answering, it makes them feel important. Don't you think?
anyway, thanks for posting!
I would agree! I am hoping to post on the "empty" self - namely that without any type of institution to which we belong and can receive identity (work, community groups, you name it), we really struggle to maintain social connections, having to fill a vast void in ourselves. Even if that didn't happen - I do think people would feel special!
Sara-
I agree wholeheartedly! The entire way we communicate, and the etiquette that accompanies it, is being transformed and reformed on a daily basis!
Thanks for writing about it!
love
auntie
Yet another reason why I don't talk on my cellphone while driving. :)
Post a Comment