One very significant thing I have been pondering recently is the beginning of this new semester which falls, coincidentally, right around the beginning of Lent as well. Both are very distinct times in the year, and I'm glad to be celebrating both of them.
This semester I designed to be distinctly different from last semester. Last semester, although I ended successfully and in one piece, was a very trying time for me. I had three jobs and three classes, plus a dedication to a very consuming hobby, and was quickly becoming someone I did not want to be – namely an overworked, over tired, and over stressed Sara. And I do not think this honored God, nor brought me terribly closer to Him, although I am sure He will use it well.
So this semester , I distinctly chose to have two classes, two jobs, and still one crazy lovely hobby. With this cleaner slate, I have decided to go public my priorities and guidelines for this semester, mainly so that I will have no excuse to turn back on them. Today’s blog will be the first one, and then I’ll blog about the other’s in successive order
1) God
Now, this has been on the top of my list forever, perhaps because I was raised in the Church and know that He is Supposed to be at the Top of Everything. So I think a lot of times I have acted out of obligation, rather than out of relationship, and tried to figure out what it meant to have God as the top one priority.
However this time the placement of the Almighty stems from a love for my creator and Guide (not from a deep sense of guilt or obedience). For the first time, perhaps in a long time, I am very comfortable in my uncomfortableness – my doubt, cynicism, complacency, and down right laziness - when it comes to my faith. Which is to not to say that it is okay, however what it does mean is that I am not beating myself up about it anymore. Now I can come with my whole self to the throne of God (as He asks us too) and say “welp – here I am! take it or leave it... I’ve got nothing else” - to which He responds - “I’ll take it” – and we go from there. There is a remarkable freedom in learning that one does not have to hide from God, nothing is really going to frighten Him, – just to be willing to come as you are and work with Him from there.
So – that said- I am actually much more comfortable and cognosant of why God is at the top of my list. Now – how does one put God at the top of a life? For me, this will mean an intentional time of resting during the week – taking a 24 hour Sabbath, acknowledging the fact my body needs to rest, thus treating myself (and God’s temple) with respect, and lending time towards reading, contemplating, and friendship.
Now, as much as I would like to adopt a Sabbath in the orthodox-Jewish sense of the word (no electricity, not too much walking – just reading, eating, and hanging out with family), that would not work here in my community. I believe rest for me, this semester, will mean no schoolwork and (oddly enough) no email. Now as I can’t break myself off email yet (I am addicted), I will probably keep it running, just won’t be allowed to respond (unless it is legitimately urgent). If a school assignment must be completed on a Saturday, I can always Sabbath from evening Friday to evening Saturday, and finish work off that evening. Nothing is so drastic it can’t wait 24 hours, now can it?
So there it is – number one priority goal this semester. I am looking forward to it. Which reminds me... I’ll need to get cracking on that homework and not put it off till Saturday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I remember making myself take a 24-hour Sabbath every week at Gordon...when I first decided to try it I told God "if my grades suffer, forget it!" but of course all was well. And Sunday was my favorite day. As it should be. :)
Post a Comment