I noted that it has been exactly a week since I last posted. In this light, I have decided (rather nobly) to post once a week, on Fridays, which I currently have off.
Remarkably, at this same exact time this revelation occurred, I realized I had a thought (among many) that could be posted. I will let you be the judge.
I attend a Bible study led by this lovely lady , whose weekly sacrifice to lead me and my compatriot Kate in the study of God's word astounds me. This week we were looking at the Fall, reading it from many different perspectives as we practice studying God's word.
I was struck by the similarity of Eve's dialogue with Satan to the many conversations I know so many of us hear today. The mocking sneer of "oh you will not surely die...." and "did God really say...." How often have I heard similar accusations and arguments both publically and privately? In this case, however, it is improtant to note Eve listens to it and obeys.
Now, I have always believed that the real evil in this passage was the listening. Perhaps she should have completely ignored the serpent and not entertained the idea. As absolutely wonderful as this would have been, the concept creates some troubles for me. I listen to many a things, and have entertained so many ideas. (For instance it took me awhile to realize that Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal was really a satire....) It is just a part of how many of us function on a day to day basis and interact with the swirling world of ideas around us.
However, perhaps, it was not the listening that was the problem, but the obeying. She had so many many resources around her to prove Satan wrong. She had God's creation, her husband standing next to her (another blog for another time), and not to mention God himself who she could freely access at any time.
But rather than consult the plethora of reliable resources around her, she chose to listen to this one voice, this one idea, this one source of information. And her husband, likewise did not seize the opportunity to listen to others or question this source of information - choosing rather to follow unquestioning. I am, for the record, in no way saying that following a woman's lead results in tragedy, but rather following any idea or person without questioning their authority before hand is setting yourself up for disaster and disappointment.
As Aristotle said, "it is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." As Christians we have the freedom to let ideas speak and air out a bit - however that by no means indicates that we have accepted it as truth, until consulting God's word and the wisdom of those who have gone before and those with us now. So in this light, and in the light of my refreshed understanding of Genesis 3 passage (which will no doubt be refreshed over and over again...), I am more so than ever reliant on the power of scripture and the wisdom of those around me. Even more so, I excited for the opportunities for growth and challenge this will present in my life; for the opportunities to grow in wisdom and transparency with my friends and family, and the joy of growing closer to God.
2 comments:
wow. very good post sara. i especially like the part about authority and where the wrong actually occurred. in an age where we're constantly told to be individuals we also are equally highly pressured to be conformist and to follow without question. take gov't for example. it's there to "save us from ourselves." it is like the parent we are expected to obey without question. anyhow. the part about listening vs. obeying reminds me about the passage in pilgrim's progress where christian is in the valley of the shadow of death and one of the daemons comes up behind him and whispers terrible things in his ear in his own voice. in not being able to discern that the voice came "from without" he was distressed over a sin which he did not commit. it's not a sin to be tempted. christ was tempted and did not sin. excellent thoughts :)
*glompeth*
~katie
Great post, Sara. Don't you think that most of our sin comes from doubting God's goodness in our lives? Jumping ahead of Him, thinking we know what's best. You are right-- had Eve taken a moment and talked the temptation over with God that evening, He would have reassurred her of His great love for her. She assumed the worst of God-- attributing wrong motives to His command. When we do that, it is when we get into trouble.
Great thoughts-- see you Tuesday!
Love, Julie
Post a Comment