Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"she's going to make it after all..."

Hi dear readership whom I have sorely neglected,

You are often in my thoughts as I brave this tremendous world post-academia. And what a world it is! Currently I'm trying to figure out how to mitigate life as it is relegated to the hours of 6:30pm until 10:30 pm (theoretically), while arising at 7am to begin work. During those precious four hours I must also eat, run errands, find my way back home from getting lost on the errands, and then muddle through my mess, paper work, and whatever else life has thrown in my direction. For all of you who have gone before and navigated these muddy waters, you have my full and total respect. School was not easy, but I certainly had more opportunities for naps!

It's weird. This week I began working 9 hour days, so that I will get every other Friday off. While the Friday pay-off will be nice, I believe the longer days might be a bit trying at first until I get into some sort of rhythm. Mostly I'm learning how to prioritize life, particularly in terms of what I can realistically expect of myself in the evenings, and letting everything else go.

::

Fourth of July weekend was marvelous. Let me tell you about a small snippet. Friday Jon and I visited Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington, in celebration of the 4th of July. This really is a remarkably beautiful estate, and I am delighted that one of our nations founders had such a beautiful place to come home too. As we strolled around the estate, convenient skipping the actual house as the wait in line was 60 minutes along, we reflected upon the integrity and character of this man who led our country. And while I am certainly there are politicians who still strive to model themselves after GW, the politician as a man of character does not appear to be prevalent in today's political sphere. We also visited the education center at Mount Vernon, which was a sheer delight to actually learn about the man and the literature, faith, and culture that shaped him to the remarkable leader he became.

Also during the day, we enjoyed the view, randomly heard a re-enactor do a question and answer session as Martha Washington, watched a blacksmith do a demonstration on how to make nails, found the water, walked through the fruit gardens, and read every available historical plaque we came across. Also it was pleasant to walk around the estate with my hand in Jon's, which always seemed to be conveniently free and near mine. Quite lovely.

No comments: