Thursday, April 9, 2009

library stacks

It may not come as a surprise to you, dear readership, that I love libraries. There are so many aspects about that them are tremendously dear to me.

Perhaps one of my most cherished aspects about the library are the crooks and crannies which exist for the sole purpose of studying in them. I am currently residing in a new cranny I found in McKeldin Library, the largest library on campus. It is located on the 5th floor, to which only two out of the three elevators go. Unfortunately it is the two elevators that I do not trust, as they have jiggled while I was riding in them.

Life is stressful enough without having to be concerned if the current elevator jiggling is simply a mechanical quirk, or an overture to your final demise.

The fifth floor is this odd quirky half floor, which you can tell is just the upper half part of the fourth floor. Apparently the fourth floor was made twice as hide as needed, so they inserted this fifth floor into the unneeded top half. You can tell as currently I am sitting near windows which overlook the 4th floor study rooms. And those study rooms have windows to the outdoors. It is strangely relaxing, as the ceilings here are also somewhat low, which is cozy. and the outdoors is viewable, however its siren song of sunlight and fresh air cannot be heard through two windows as well as it can be heard through one.

I am sitting at a wooden desk, which has the desk part for sitting computers and notebooks upon, and then the three wooden sides around to give the semblance of privacy. Over the years students have taken to writing upon these three sides, and I'd like to share the more amusing and less crude of the inscriptions:

"We are in college why are we writing on desks?"
written above:
"Ahh... the hypocricy"

"RUBISCO! <- I hate plants"

"Criminology Majors Deserve Respect"

"Save Darfur -> Oops too late -> no we can still save Darfur!

"Be Blessed Not Stressed"

I like the last one a bit.

on that note, back to the studying.

2 comments:

J + A said...

i too am a lover of the stacks....so many possibilities!! you should get on www.goodreads.com unless you already are a member. it would be great fun to know what you are reading:)

DeskSet said...

I will totally have to join once school is over! right now i'm reading such exciting volumes as "Information Retrieval" - thanks for the recommendation!!