Sunday, December 2, 2007

Survivors, printers, and genocide

I had today - in my brief experience there - one of the most challenging interactions today with a survivor. A Holocaust survivor. At work (where else?)

I don't intend my blog here to do it justice, but I wanted to record it before I forgot.

I had a Survivor and his grandson come today to do family research. He was an intensely kind and patient man - a delight to work with and for. He had been liberated from Terezin as a child, and this was his first step towards research. We were (praise God) able to find some records, however they did not print fully upstairs. So I escorted them down to the Registry, where I hoped a printer would work. Now to go to the Reigstry, you have to scoot through the Wexner learning center. The last exhibit on display is about the current crisis in Darfur Africa - where hundreds of thousands are being murdered and millions are fleeing their homes. We mention it as we walk through.

At the registry he successfully printed off some documents, as well as finding some more. With my librarian heart satisfied that the patron had come for the information they sought, we walked back through the exhibit. He spoke in bewilderment, grateful for the records, then his thoughts turned back to those times where his family was murdered and his childhood stolen. and his eyes teared up. and as we're passing through the Darfur exhibit he cried brokenly
and its happening today....
its happening today.....



As we kept walking, the emotions strong, i chose not to say anything. What do you say? Platitudes are stupid. And the fact that genocide is occuring is absolutely unfathomable. as is inaction in light of what we know from the Holocaust. so we kept walking and i took them where they needed to go.

I left with a heart full at his apparent gratefulness, and his utter sincere patience with, what can be, very bumbling librarian work.

At the same time I am left, and still have, the echoes of his words in my brain "its still happening...." - and its haunting. in a good way though. Like a kind ghost who reminds me that I cannot look at the inaction of those in the 1930s and 40s, both in Germany and in the US, and judge what they did not do, and not look at the actions of those in the 2000s

Rather I need to look at the injustices which I can influence around me, here, today, and now. (its so much easier to examine the injustices of yesterday and think "my my that was awful) I passively do what I can - I bear a green ribbon on my car which says "Save Darfur" - i write a letter to congress or whoever the SaveDarfur.org organization asks that I do.... and even that is just editing the form letter they provide and clicking "send." And i pray.

Now i don't want to go on a tyraid about what i should and should not be doing, that would be ridiculous. But rather I seek a conviction, and action, that I can take - or more so - wisdom on how to be a relevant and active citizen, and particularly relevant and active in God's Kingdom. To live with a good conscience and keen mind.

Sitting back and saying "That's terrible" is not acceptable to me - I won't take on guilt or sadness without being able to do something active about it. Just the question is: what will my activism look like - and - what does God ask of me, today and now, to do for my fellow human beings?

[thanks for reading reader. I appreciate your attention!]

No comments: