The other day I was driving through a suburban area. As I was driving along, an old man caught my eye. Hunched over, he slowly made his way along the street, one strong yet tedious step at a time. I looked around to see if anyone was near by, as if people at a certain old age shouldn't be outside by themselves, when I noticed he was holding a leash - at the end of which was a very small dog who was trotting along, somewhat leisurely sniffing the ground and enjoying the day.. The picture of the two struck me first as odd, then as precious, very dear and true. Here was a man who looked like he needed to be walked, yet in his old and trembling age he still was taking care of his animal. And the animal seemed quite oblivious of the owners frail state, with no desire to run faster or go elsewhere - seemingly content to be at the owner's side.
I kept driving along, as it wouldn't be very suitable to stare.
I am sometimes amazed at the characteristics of God which He imprinted on His creation - and the privilege we receive in taking care of creation as He has taken care of us. How natural it can be to love and treasure the creation which has been entrusted to us, and in this way learning how God loves and treasures us as well. In this case, certainly the old man could simply say "I am too old, the dog will just not have to be walked." But he didn't, he still takes care of what has been entrusted to him, and in this case, its is the life of a small dog, who has also learned how to walk carefully with its caretaker.
I also think it is amazing how God gives us minature experiences of what it may be like to be Him, and how in this way we can relate to Him in increasing fullness, loving creation as He has loved us, and receiving His love in return. Knowing that as a dog trusts us for care and protection, and knowing how competent we are to provide, so also does God delight in our trust in Him, and takes delight in providing our every need.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment