Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Attempts at being thoughtful

I have sincerely attempted understanding this interface. I have yet to conquer it and have no hopes to. I am sure that is some wonderful mystical way it is intuitive - perhaps it was designed by a microsoft user... (grumbles off bitterly)

Today was an interesting day. One of those days when things just seem to be tripping you up a bit more than often. - i think I have landed on my feet at the end of it. I had been scrambling to finish a homework assignment for a class which I discovered, upon arriving at class, that it was due today. Alas. So when I came home, and nobly began working on the project, I turned off my email. At 10:30pm, under the illusion I was nearing the end of the assignment, I finally realized that I had read the instructions wrong and had done only have the assignment. Again - Alas. Realizing any chance of being coherent in HTML and database design at this late hour was futile, I decided to email my profession and TA with the news that I would be turning in the assignment late. Re-instating my email, it loaded, and low-and-behold there was a message from my professor to all the students, saying that we all had an extra few days for the assignment. I was overjoyed and immediately decided to write.

Today I had an interesting thought and will attempted to articulate it here, although by no means clearly.

In introduction to archiving we began discussing the myriad of issues surrounding classification of documents. How long should they be saved for? and by whom? What types of documents should be classified? For whom should they be declassified? This is particularly relevant for high-profile members of our government - presidents, supreme court justices, representatives, and so forth. The documents contain very senstative material regarding not only the person to whom the collection originally belonged, but also for the people mentioned in the documents. This became particularly poignant after a justice (Thurgood Marshall) had sumitted his papers for review, with the procedural instruction that they should not be opened until five years after his death. Unfortunatley he died early - which meant the documents would be opened much earlier, and certainly when the majority of the people mentioned in there were still alive and well. The debacle and contention this has caused is quite grand.

While we were sitting here discussing all these interesting aspects of the profession, I most certainly began my own thought processes. What would be the most ideal situation? What would be the best for all humanity? I certainly recognize that many documents do need intense security - for isntance the ruling that all FBI informats persona files be closed for 150 years is most certainly a positive and good ruling. That way none of his family memebers would be affected by retaliation and so forth.
However, would not the most ideal be if we need not conceal anything? If all things were in such an open, honest, and peaceful state, that access to information was clearly a benefit to all and a threat to no one?

Yes. Most certainly. This is the ideal I had decided. While the professor changed his slide, my mind wandered further back-

For how long has man been conceal information? I asked myself. Quickly my well-trained Sunday School Brain answered:
Since Eden of course.

This answer somewhat surprised me and gave me a bit to chew on. This has happened frequently, when suddenly things I have known for so long get put into the framework of the world view I have formed during the past 7 years.
(at this point i became to tired to finish my thought. I will update this post when more information comes to me)

1 comment:

Heather Nicole said...

you really do lead an exciting and insightful life, my dear. this makes me think about each of our own
personal archives we keep for ourselves: how do I chose what information to share and what to keep classified?